So you may have heard this about ‘In Rainbows’:
• After being made available for free for 3 months the album was no.1 in the UK and in the US
• 1st Radiohead album on iTunes – no.1 album selling 30,000 units in the US in the first week
• The physical CD has sold 1.75 million to date and is still top 200 UK & US
• They sold 100k boxsets via W.A.S.T.E.
• Nearing 17 million plays on last.fm
• 1.2 million fans will see the tour
• The digital income from the experiment made a material difference to WCM’s UK digital revenue this year
Awesome. An established band can make a lot of money using the Internet and file sharing as a friend not an enemy. But what about new artists?
The problem with new artists is not piracy, but obscurity. You don’t have that rabid world wide fan base quite yet. So what do you do?
You MUST spread your music to as many ears as possible. MEANING… GIVE YOUR MUSIC AWAY FREE.
Yes we know that you’ve just spent a small fortune on your album and the idea of not being paid for your work sounds ludicrous. But, its either give it away and get a big fan base that wants to come to concerts, buy merch, and support you OR you sell your disc off of CD Baby for $15 and nobody buys it.
It’s your decision.[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wI7tB3585E]
Take Control of Your Music,