I was reading a Rolling Stone interview with Chris Martin as Coldplay were preparing to release “Vida La Vida or Death and All His Friends.” It was candid and informal which I really dig about some of the Rolling Stone interviews.
Anyways, there was a point where Martin said Coldplay practiced everyday for 2 years before Parachutes came out. That kind of practice can get you pretty tight as a group, but how do you keep that up without it becoming tedious?
1. Have a longer term goal (6 months to a year) as the fuel to keep you going.
2. Have a goal for each practice so you make the most of the practice
3. Bring yourself into the now when you practice. There are probably other things on your mind, but you’re here now playing music!
4. Imagine yourself in the future as a better player, songwriter, rapper, etc.. and use that as motivation. You’ll be surprised if you look back after a year when you notice your growth.
5. If practicing and playing isn’t fun, why are you doing this?[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsz-EeNZBkI&feature=related]
Take Control of Your Music