Yay for Vinyl!
After a slide in sales last year, vinyl record sales are up in a big way.
Thanks to big selling records from Arcade Fire, Black Keys, and The Beatles, 2010 was the biggest year for vinyl since 1991 (when Soundscan first started tracking vinyl sales).
Rolling Stone reports that vinyl sales were up 14 percent from the previous year, with around 2.8 million units sold. (via Exclaim!)
The top ten vinyl records of 2010
1. The Beatles – Abbey Road
2. Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
3. The Black Keys – Brothers
4. Vampire Weekend – Contra
5. Michael Jackson – Thriller
6. The National – High Violet
7. Beach House – Teen Dream
8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Valleys of Neptune
9. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon
10. The XX – XX
Still, vinyl sales are a but a drop in the music bucket compared to digital downloads, which figure in the billions.
So although vinyl is still a niche market, if your fanbase is hip to it, it could be a lucrative investment.
Take Control of Your Music