I was fortunate enough to attend Coachella last weekend.
We drove 30 hours South through blizzards with very little sleep to get to the site where we dealt with insanely hot weather, waking up in sweat, and not showering for days. It was worth it though to be awash in a thick, heavy layer of golden musical wonderment. As a whole, it is an experience that I highly recommend to anyone with a passion for good music and good times.
Bring the basics, only whatever you really need to get by. A change of clothes, sunblock, whatever. Ok, your camera, shades, favourite book, cheekybingo and other personal essentials you simply can’t leave behind. You’ll be happy you packed light though, because the whole experience is heavy! In the best sense of the word.
My highlights for Coachella 2011:
1. Kanye West– Epic theatrics inspired by early 90’s Michael Jackson shows.
2. Chemical Brothers– These guys understand that watching electronic DJs isn’t that interesting unless you have insane visuals. They delivered.
3. The National– Even better live than on record
4. One Day As A Lion- Zach De La Rocha’s new band. AMAZING if you were ever into RATM.
5. Scrillex– However long Dubstep stays in the mainstream, this kid knows how to throw it down. He even had Korn come on stage and do a few songs.
6. Lauryn Hill– Some say she’s gone crazy, but man she owned this show. So glad I got to see her live.
7. Erykah Badu– New album is dope and she’s a true artist. Very sweet experimental live versions of tracks.
8. The Do-Lab Tent– DJs all day and night. For some reason they hosed people down with water the whole time which is a waste of water, but a very needed rinse-down-dance-party in between sets is sometimes nice.
9. Sphongle– Electronic trip out. I wasn’t on any hard drugs but man, I think everyone else was.
10. The Joy Formidable– Unexpected as I had never heard them before. Think of a female fronted jam band version of The Killers/Blink 182.
If you were there, you already know how awesome it was. If you weren’t, go next year.
Check out Kanye’s entrance below: