Here at The New Rockstar Philosophy we’re always interested in new ideas. One of them that we’ve come across is SoundOff.fm:
SoundOff.fm is for musicians and music lovers alike. As voters unearth new music, artists gain the exposure they need. It’s all done with bias-free voting, a wrinkle in the traditional “music discovery” process. And it’s 100% free.
The Basic Concept
- Artists upload a track and pick the best 20 seconds. This 20 second clip is entered into a voting pool, by genre.
- Voters select a genre, hear two clips back-to-back, and vote for the track they like best. This is the fun part! Users can select to either “race the clock” and vote until time runs out, or to listen to each clip in full and vote afterwards.
- This voting process is blind – no band names, no pictures, etc. It’s the Pepsi Challenge of the music world.
- After time is up or voting is complete, voters see the bands and tracks that they voted on. These bands are saved to their profile so they can go back and interact with them at a later date.
- As they vote, users earn credit to spend on the site.
- Users can spend their credit on marketing themselves, if they are an artist (for example, they can purchase a spot on the site as a “Featured Band”). Credit can also be used to download tracks to your music collection, if the artist allows it.
For more information on how the site works, go here: www.soundoff.fm/faq
We haven’t had a chance to dig deep into this platform but it appears like it’s easy to use and could be a great way to snag some more fans or find some new tunes. Check it out.