If you were listening to the radio or watching MTV in 1997/98, you probably heard the band Fastball…a lot. You might not remember the band name but the song “The Way” was a huge hit that helped sell over a million records.
I stumbled on a video with guitarist/vocalist Miles Zuniga on Gary V’s Wine Library TV internet show of all shows (apparently he loves wine). It was totally random but I couldn’t stop watching because the stories that he shared about going were so entertaining.
1. Getting a record deal in his early 20’s and then being dropped
2. Realizing how important promotion is to a record
3. How working in the wine room of a restaurant was the best job he had
4. A chance meeting with Gregg Allman (Allman Brothers) on the plane who told him to start a new band-Fastball
5. How the accountant of the record label gave them the approval (after the president got fired) to make the big 2nd record after their first record tanked. They should have been dropped, but chance worked out for them
6. How the radio promoter at the label knew he was getting fired so he took the fastball record by chance and flew across the country and called in favors to help make the record as big as it was.
It’s worth a watch if you got some time to kill.
Here’s the song that did everything for them.
Oh by the way, if you got a Kindle, get the Updated and Revised version of The New Rockstar Philosophy already!!