This weekend I attended a sweet house concert. This had full on bands, great food, and even better people. The whole experience gave me the sense of community within a musical scene. This is exactly what a band can and should be doing for their fans. Fans love seeing their favourite band in a up close setting, and at these shows you can sell them a ton of merch!
Plus this is exactly the sort of things that small to medium sized bands can do very well because their fanbase is still relatively small. The amount of people who sign up to a house show will be manageable… or not if you lucky.
So this is the basic idea:
- Tell fans you’re having a “Secret Concert“
- Only those who sign up to the email list and fill out FULL contact info will be entered to win tickets/the first 30 ppl to sign up get in/the first 5 people who get your band’s name tattooed on their face/ some other rule you decide on.
- Survey the results. How many people signed up? Where are they from? Who are they (age/sex/etc)?
- Do the concert. Decide where you’ll hold this. How big is your house? Could you fit 10 ppl in there for an awesome time? What about 20? 40? 50? Figure out what you can do with what you have. The point is NOT to rent anything new for this. This is a free thing you can do now.
- Sell da merch! – Set up an area of the house with your newest, best, and most exclusive, limited edition merch. Then watch it get scooped up by rabid fans. . . Or watch them get drunk and puke on your gear. Either way it’s a great story and make sure to film it, photograph it, and post it all to your sites.
Obviously every band will have to mix up the ingredients to get the best results. Perhaps do this at a buddies house or maybe in some field. In any case house concerts are legit kids. Try them today.