Attention. Attention. There is a new social network that will probably become another important part of your band’s social media arsenal. Meerkat!
What is Meerkat: A live-streaming app that took Austin by storm this year. Festival-goers used it to stream concerts, panels, pedicab rides, and strolls down Cesar Chavez Street.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, in town to promote the upcoming season of Veep, shot a few Meerkats during her time here. Back in New York, TV weatherman Al Roker started Meerkatting as well. By the time Jimmy Fallon announced he would Meerkat St. Patrick’s Day today, it seemed clear: the app has gone viral
But there are rules. These via Meerkatapp.co:
- Everything that happens on meerkat happens on Twitter.
- Streams will be pushed to followers in real time via push notifications.
- People can only watch it live. No reruns.
- Watchers can restream any stream to their followers in real time.
- Scheduled streams will be distributed in the community by their subscribers.
- Your own streams can be kept locally on your phone, but never on the cloud.
- Everyone can watch on web.
- Be kind.
So how can you use Meerkat?
Live stream your band life! The jams, the studio, the hangouts, anything and everything that makes you YOU. Stream it all. Die hard fans, the folks who BUY things love to know more than casual fans. This is who your audience is when using Meerkat. So show people your artistic life.
What do you need for Meerkat?
- A newish iPhone (no Android ver yet)
- Twitter (b/c it runs via Twitter)
- Meerkat app
Also, ADD ME –@Voyno so follow me on Twitter first.