Life is busy. You don’t have time to keep up on all the music industry news. Finally a solution! How about subscribe to these 7 email newsletters, read those, then wow your friends with your topical banter. I agree that is an awesome idea. The best of the best below:
- The Lefsetz Letter: Bob Lefsetz is a white oldish man who has strong opinions, and an even stronger reader base. I’ve been reading Bob’s newsletter for years now. He’s always up on the current news and brings his acerbic wit to all things happening in the music industry. The great thing is he’s human so the topics vary to keep a reader interested. He sends emails a few times a month with topics including, new music, music business, tech trends, existentialism, the value of music, and tons of other bull shit. Subscribe HERE.
- Brain Pickings: If I’m ever in a creative lull the emails sent out by Maria Popova in Brain Pickings will always pick me up. Brain Pickings covers creativity, inspiration, and being an artist in interesting ways gathered from cool books, and artists throughout the ages. Seriously this blog has led me to a lot of books that have shaped my world. The email list is free but there is a donate button if you’re so inclined. Subscribe HERE.
- Granted: Adam Grant wrote this amazing book called Givers and Takers. You should read it, but he also has a great newsletter. Short and to the point. It come once a month. Good stuff, read it, subscribe HERE.
- Ryan Holiday is the guy who helped American Apparel to achieve the heights of their success as their marketing director in the 2000s. These days he’s been teaching people how to do it via his 3 books. They’re all really useful stuff for artists, bands, and really anyone who wants to share their ideas with the world. His newsletter is mainly focused on the cool books he’s been reading and he sends about one email every few months. Think of him as the farmteam for interesting ideas. Subscribe HERE.
- CD Baby sends out a lot of emails. They’re a music business that relies on new users so it’s understandable. Luckily they’re a business with heart and put out a lot of free content with their DIY Musician Newsletter. New Rockstar Philosophy has had the honour of being featured on it more than a few times and it’s a great resource for all interested in the music industry from a DIY perspective. Subscribe to it HERE.
- The New Rockstar Philosophy email is arguably the best of them all. Not only is it inconsistent in frequency but also in content! Wow what a combo. But it does exist, and readers DO get free stuff, exclusive content, and insider tips that I won’t share with anyone but the people who really want to know what’s going on in the streets. SUBSCRIBE HERE.
- Hypebot – I feel that Hypebot should get an honorable mention because of all they do for the independent community. That being said I don’t think I have received a single Hypebot email. They’ve been busy remaking their new website so I get it. But you should sign up because I’m sure it will be quality. Subscriber HERE.